A protein-packed breakfast, made veggie or vegan, from nutritionist Monique, of Nourish Every Day!
1/2 cup rolled oats (45 grams) – certified gluten-free if required
1 medium carrot (finely grated between 1/2 – 3/4 cup)
2 tsp ground flaxseed (ready ground or ground up fresh in your coffee grinder)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2-3 tsp granulated stevia (Natvia) – or 2-3 tsp of preferred sweetener e.g. honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond milk or any other milk of choice
1/2 cup water
Optional additions for a protein punch
1 egg , whisked, OR
2 tbsp protein powder of choice (neutral or vanilla flavoured)
(we’d recommend Pulsin’ pea or hemp)
- Grate the carrot and pop in to a small saucepan together with the rolled oats, flaxseed, Natvia (if using) and spices. (Honey shouldn’t be heated, so if using honey, add this at the end. Maple syrup always seems sweeter when drizzled on afterwards too!).
- Pour in the almond milk, water and vanilla extract. Stir everything together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, or until the porridge reaches your preferred consistency. Add a little extra water and/or almond milk to thin the porridge out as it’s cooking, if needed.
- If you’d like to add some additional protein, simply add in a whisked egg towards the end, or a few tablespoons of your preferred protein powder. If you’re adding the egg, make sure to stir briskly so the egg becomes completely incorporated in to the porridge.
- Serve the porridge piping hot with a sprinkle of extra cinnamon and extra toppings of your choice (coconut yoghurt, blueberries, toasted pumpkin seeds etc.).