Adapted from a recipe in Living Without Magazine, by Wild Oats’ Emily Rhodes.
Makes 12 muffins
6 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or alternative, i.e. avocado)
1 1/2 cups (360ml) coconut milk (or alternative, i.e. almond)
1/2 cup (85g) unrefined cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (85g) pure maple syrup
1 avocado peeled and mashed up (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup (64g) coconut flour
1/2 cup (50g) ground almonds
1 cup (125g) plain gluten-free flour (or wheat if preferred)
1/2 cup (64g) raw cacao powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175°C/gas mark 4
- Blend together all the wet ingredients until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredient mix to the wet mix and using your mixer on low speed blend everything together (be careful not to over-mix, stop mixing once it is combined).
- Divide the batter into a lined muffin pan or a greased muffin pan with 12 spaces (you can use an ice cream scooper to help with this part).
- Sprinkle on your topping of choice or leave them plain. (Try decorating with finely chopped almonds, goji berries or dessicated coconut)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.