From freelance writer, editor and author of the My Kitchen Antics blog.
A dry curry, made with sauteed beans and a spicy coconut mix.
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 green chillis, slit
2-3 small onions, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, optional
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 dried red chillis
250g green beans, finely chopped
pinch of salt
1 tbsp water
- Blend together the grated coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, green chilli, small onions and garlic. Pulse once or twice, just to mix it well and don’t grind to a paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heave bottomed pan and gently heat the mustard seeds.
- Throw in the curry leaves and dried red chilli and saute till they turn slightly crisp.
- Add to it the coconut mix and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Finally, add the beans, salt and water, mix them all together, close with a tight lid and cook on medium-low heat for about 7-10 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want to keep it.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pan closed till ready to use.
- Serve with rice and a yoghurt, cucumber & mint dressing (dairy or dairy-free)