Blueberries are great for brain health. Try this gluten-free breakfast porridge, which can be adapted for vegans too. It’s good to start you day with a good dose of protein and healthy fats, and the almonds help with that.
Inspired by www.onehungrymama.com.
4 cups milk of your choice
3/4 cup Clearspring organic instant polenta
1/2 cup ground almonds
4 tbsp organic butter / ghee / grated creamed coconut
1 cup blueberries (frozen or dried – soaked overnight)
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
Sweetener of your choice (agave / honey / yacon syrup etc.)
To serve (optional): cream / coconut yoghurt / coconut chips / extra blueberries / fennel seeds / sweetcorn… really!
- Heat the milk in a medium saucepan, once hot and steaming, add the polenta, whisking continuously until smooth.
- Add the ground almonds and continue whisking until the polenta thickens to a creamy consistency.
- Add the butter / ghee / grated creamed coconut, continuing to whisk until it melts completely.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the blueberries, vanilla and cardamom. Add any sweetener of your choice, if using.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Fennel seeds are always great!