Always on the look out for alternatives to sugar-coated snacks, savoury biscuits provide a great solution. These are healthy and seasonal. Thinking of adding some cinnamon next time too.
Recipe gleaned from Tales of a Kitchen.
Makes 10 cookies (depending on size!)
1/3 cup wholemeal flour of your choice (spelt works well)
1/3 cup almond flour or ground almonds
1/4 cup whole sesame seeds, plus additional for sprinkling on top
Sea salt to taste
1/3 cup ground linseed + 1/3 cup water
1/3 small courgette, finely grated
1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
1 big kale leaf (or a few small spinach leaf), finely chopped
- Preheat the oven at 180-190C.
- In a small bowl, mix ground linseed with water and let it sit for a minute or two until it becomes a gel.
- In a big bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, almond meal, sesame seeds and salt.
- Add the linseed mix and the veggies to the flour mix and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Shape into thin cookies (by hand) and spread them on a cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on the cookies and bake them for about 20 minutes (or until you stick a toothpick in them and it comes out clean).
- Take your cookies out of the oven and allow them to cool before serving.