Healthy Vegetable Risotto Recipe
It’s Recipe Takeover Tuesday, and we’re keeping on the theme of vegetables. This healthy vegetable risotto is a great way to cram in your recommended intake of daily vegetables in one dish. If you haven’t got these ingredients in, it’s worth getting them in your next shop as we love cooking with these flavours.
We’re always keen to promote organic vegetables. They can be a bit pricier than non-organic but there’s a reason for it, as growing organic is more labour intensive on the farmer Farmers won’t use pesticides which meas they’re more likely to weed all their crops by hand.
|1 cup short grain brown rice + 2 ½ cups water|
|Pinch of sea salt|
|Tbsp organic unrefined coconut oil|
|1 medium onion|
|1 medium carrot|
|1 medium sweet potato|
|1 medium courgette|
|1 medium leek|
|Fresh ground black pepper|
Do you have a pressure cooker?
For the best results put the rice into the pan, add the water and a pinch of sea salt, close the lid and bring up to pressure, then on the lowest possible setting, let it simmer for an hour.
But if you don’t have a pressure cooker put the rice into the pan, add the water plus another ½ cup and a pinch of sea salt, and bring up to the boil. Then put it on the lowest heat setting put the lid on and let it simmer for an hour.
- Peel the turmeric, garlic and ginger and cut into small slices.
- Peel the onion and dice into 8mm pieces.
- Cut the carrot as though sharpening a pencil into 2cm x 6mm slivers.
- Roll cut the sweet potato into 2cm x 1cm wedges.
- Dice the courgettes into roughly 15mm cubes.
- Very finely slice the green part of the leek across the stem and slice the white part into 1 cm rounds.
Start cooking about 20 minutes before the rice is due to be ready.
- Put the coconut oil in the pan and allow to melt.
- Add the turmeric, garlic and ginger and heat over a medium flame until they start to sizzle.
- Add the onions and cook until they start to brown.
- Add a dessert spoon of tamari and stir well.
- Stir in the carrot and mix well and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a kettle and add a small amount to the pan.
- Add the sweet potato, stir well and cover the pan, simmering for 3 minutes, topping up the water as it evaporates.
- Add the courgettes and a drop more water and cover for another 2 minutes.
- By this time the rice should be ready, so turn off the rice.
- Stir in the leeks, adding a little water just to keep things moist and cover for 1 minute.
- If the pressure has not reduced in the pressure cooker by now, quench under cold running water until the pressure drops.
- Stir the rice well, (it should be very moist but not swimming) and add to the vegetables, mixing well.
- Add some freshly ground pepper and serve.
Recipe by Mike Abrahams, Wild Oats founder.