3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tsp mustard powder
2-4 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cans Hodmedod’s British fava beans (or other canned beans)
1/2 – 1 cup water
salt & pepper to taste
- In a bowl, stir together molasses, brown sugar, tomato puree, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic and onion.
- Add in the fava beans and coat with the mixture.
- Pour into a large saucepan and add 1/2 cup of water to start.
- Heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a low setting and continue to cook for up to an hour.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt (or soy sauce) and pepper to taste.
Try different flavourings, substituting cumin and chilli powder for the mustard. You can also try adding bits of bacon or fake bacon bits. Great served on toasted sourdough.