Inspired by the delicious coconutty pumpkin soup served by Chris at Leigh Court Farm‘s Halloween gathering on Sunday, I thought I’d share this protein-rich version with you from The Wholesome Life. This has to be the taste (and colour) of autumn!
According to Chris, butternut squash makes the best soup.
3 cups of roasted butternut squash (try roasting in cumin, paprika and coconut oil)
1 brown onion (peeled and roasted)
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 length of ginger, 4 cm (chopped)
1 clove of garlic
1.5 tsp of ground cumin
1.5 tsp of ground coriander
1.5 tsp of ground turmeric
1/2 cup of soaked cashews
3/4 cup coconut milk
* to top try using coconut flakes, fresh coriander, chilli flakes, pepper, pumpkin seeds, cayenne, raw cashews etc.
- Soak cashews for 2 hours prior to cooking.
- Roast pumpkin in large chunks for 45minutes at 180degrees (Add the onion and garlic after 20 minutes).
- In a saucepan, pan fry the ginger with the spices until fragrant. Then add (hot) stock and simmer. Add the pumpkin, onion and garlic then cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer your soup to a blender, and add the cashews and coconut milk. Blend until combined.
- Serve with suggested toppings for presentation and even some extra coconut cream!