This will help those seasonal cravings you might have for bread and pizza. From Natural Kitchen Adventures.
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (approx 600g before peeling)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tbsp chestnut flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
2-3 tbsp pesto of your choice, homemade or from a jar (or herbs & oil – try za’atar)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 425°F.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork, and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until soft.
- When the potatoes are soft allow to cool slightly and then scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or back of a fork. Leave cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven to 190°C/ 375°F.
- Make a well in the middle of the potatoes and pour in the whisked eggs and the salt. Work the eggs into the potato flesh.
- Combine all the 4 flours together in a separate bowl then gradually add into the potato bowl a bit at a time until you get satisfactory bread-like dough that you can handle without stickiness. You may not need all the flour, or may need a little more – it will depend on the exact size, wetness and starchiness of your potatoes.
- Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and press into a large circle or square (8 inch diameter). Make imprints over the surface with the fleshy part of your thumb. Bake in the oven for 45 mins, till the top is golden brown and a crust has formed on the bottom.
- When the bread comes out of the oven brush the pesto over – approx. 2-3 tbsp. Slice and serve. This is dense starchy bread and a little goes a long way.