This winning recipe was submitted by customer David Anyinsah to celebrate Wake Up To Organic 2017.
David came up with this recipe while looking for an alternative breakfast for his daughter whose skin reacted to white flour and eggs. The pancakes are naturally sweet and the plantains are an ode to his Afro-Caribbean roots. Enjoy!
2 ripe plantains
1/3 cup organic chia seeds (to make 1/4 cup chia gel)
1/4 cup organic spelt flour
Drop vanilla extract
2 cups water
Oil to fry (coconut oil)
Seasonal fruit of choice: strawberries are a personal favourite
- Combine the chia seeds with the water and allow them to sit for 20 minutes
- Cut the plantains and put them in a blender with a splash of water and a drop of vanilla extract
- Once blended, combine with the spelt flour and 1/4 cup chia gel
- Pour the batter into a pan with oil and fry each side of pancake for 3 mins or so
- Serve with a drizzle of date syrup and fruit of choice