From Amy Chaplin.
A great warming tonic for when you’re feeling under the weather. Particularly nourishing for your kidneys and yet another wonderful use of our fresh turmeric!
¼ cup barley (pearled or Chinese barley)
8 cups filtered water
2 inch piece fresh turmeric or ½ to 1 teaspoon dry turmeric
4 slices fresh ginger
Juice of half a grape fruit
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of half a lime
Raw honey to taste
- Rinse barley and place in a medium to large pot with water.
- Add turmeric and ginger and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 4 to 6 hours, or longer.
- Remove from heat and strain into a large jar for storage.
- When you’re ready to drink it, serve warm and add citrus juices and honey to taste.