2 Red bell peppers
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Medium shallots* (finely chopped)
4 Cloves garlic* (finely chopped)
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
350ml Unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (or other thickener of choice)
1 Pinch red pepper flake (optional)
340g Linguini or spaghetti noodles (or other noodle of choice)
- Heat oven to 180C. Remove the top of the red pepper, remove the seeds inside and score the outside so it's easier to remove the skin later. Roast red peppers on a baking sheet until charred – about 25-30 minutes.
- While the red peppers are roasting, bring a large pan over medium heat and sauté the shallots and garlic in olive oil for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown and soft. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the roasted red peppers from the oven and cover in foil for 10 minutes to steam, then peel away the charred skin and set aside.
- Transfer the sautéed shallot and garlic to a blender with the roasted peppers, almond milk, red pepper flake, nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Season with desired amount of salt, pepper, and red pepper flake.
- Blend until creamy and smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper or nutritional yeast for flavor. You want the flavor to be pretty robust and strong since the noodles don’t have much flavor – so be generous with your seasonings.
- Once blended, place sauce back in the pan over a medium heat to thicken. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions then drain and toss in a touch of olive oil.
- Once sauce has thickened to desired consistency (see photo), add the pasta.
- Serve with (generous amounts of) vegan parmesan, red pepper flake, and fresh chopped parsley or basil.